Oct. 24th- Game vs. Detroit… Parent Night
We started our last regular season games with Detroit of Friday. Last year they defended well and we walked away with a tie. However that was not the case this year….
Before I talk about the game—it was parent’s night! So another thank you to all of you parents, even if your kid isn’t a teammate of mine, none of us would be where we are without you.
Onto the game… within 16 minutes Krueser got another dangerous moment started, playing a great ball to Hagen who put Talbert in on a diagonal ball. Talbs then flicked it past their keeper far post, 1-0. Why wait any longer then another two minutes, Hagen played Roadhouse, who hit it to Talbert, who ran onto it, and hit it in, only about a yard out, 2-0.
Those were the only goals of the first half, but we had some great build-ups. Our overall awareness of the other team and our own team has improved so much to the point where we just pass around them and Kane sits back there not needing to make a single save. By the end of the game, Detroit had two shots, neither which were on goal.
Heading into the second half, it was similar to the first, we had great build-ups, from great combinations through the midfield, our outside backs were getting involved, we were beating them on the dribble, beating them with passes, and it could have been more then 3-0 if it wasn’t for their keeper who came up with some great saves, which is hard to do with our amazing fans behind the goal.
Eventually our third goal came, the Canadian, Keara, played a ball in the air to me, I chest trapped it past the defender, putting myself on the left side of the 18yd box, crossed it to Kreuser, one touched it back to Hagen, who hit it in, 3-0. She didn’t get to keep the ball if you were wondering...
Every player got into the game, and created chances, everyone played well (our two other keepers didn’t get in, but freezing in the goal was fun enough for just Kane) I could fill pages of the chances, combinations, and great play that we did as a team...
Anyways, we walked away with the 3-0 win against Detroit, our final game regular season game vs. Valpo.
As our team has started to do better, more people have looked at our website, and in turn their eyes have met this captivating and exhilarating blog that I write, which has led to occasions when people yell within the run of the game, “I wanna read about that in Megna’s memoirs!”, which leads me to this “oh so embarrassing moment of mine.”
A great ball was served into the box, where I found myself trying to run onto it, but Hagan was in my path, “Let Hagen” I yelled, thinking she would move left or right, so I was now leaping towards the ball, instead she squatted down and I flew (Well, it felt like flying) over her, until I came down, smacking the ground with as much force as I had hoped to head the ball—which I had missed by a considerable distance. I can only imagined how this looked to onlookers... painful I hope, because that’s how it felt!
Oct. 10th- Game vs Valpraiso - Senior Day
It was nice to give our seniors a win as well as clinching the regular season championship for the ninth year in a row... yes, this year it is a co-champs, but all the same.
We took the field for a game where the wind would be factor, and got the scoring started early. The first two goals came almost like it was a crossing and finishing game in practice. The first one, I got the ball out left (from Keara), went endline, served to Hagen who finished with her head, 1-0. Moments later, from the other side, Teegs got the ball out right, went endline, served to Kreuser who finished with her head, 2-0.
After our first two goals, we kept the ball within their half, they struggled to clear because of the wind, and created some chances but failed to put anymore away. They then broke through our midfield on the dribble and put a forward in behind our defense with a long ball, their forward then hit a great shot from the corner of the right 18-yard box to the upper 90 far post, 2-1.
We started the second half, controlling the play. They never had another real chance other then the goal all game, we got numbers forward and were close to getting another. It finally came in the 86th minute, the Canadian, Keara, sent the ball out to me on the left side of the 18yd box, I headed it into the penalty area where Hagen side volleyed it past their keeper, 3-1.
We closed out senior day with a win and Teegs and Kane shed a few tears... our season, however, is no where near the end! Horizon league tournament next Sunday at home.